A nod to the creator
Carrot muffins are a throw back from the days when I used to travel off to sunny destinations teaching on fitness retreats. We had an incredible chief called Michael who would whip up the most delicious meals that were gluten free, dairy free and sugar free. After a long day of working out in the Mediterranean sunshine there was nothing better than relaxing around a large table and putting the world to rights over one of his incredible feasts.
These gluten free, sugar free carrot muffins would often make an appearance and were always one of my favourites. Over the years I have proceeded to tinker with the ingredients to include even more goodies while staying loyal to his original concept. They take about 15 minutes to mix together and 25 minutes to cook. I have put a few additional notes next to the ingredients regarding their health benefits so whip a batch up for friends or family and know you are doing them good in the process. Enjoy!
Carrot muffins- Ingredients:
- 4 decent sized organic carrots coarsely grated
- 200g Doves gluten free flour (many people are sensitive to gluten, resulting in stomach cramping, bloating and inflammation)
- 3 eggs (organic where possible as this cuts down on exogenous hormones and antibiotics)
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2-3 tsp of cinnamon (I like to be generous. It improves insulin resistance, lowers blood glucose, reduces ‘bad’ cholesterol, and is a powerful antioxidant)
- 80g coconut oil melted (improves good cholesterol and has been shown to have anti viral and bacterial properties)
- 1 banana chopped into small pieces
- 100g raisins
- 2 scoops collagen powder (I use Great Lakes collagen powder. It is great for repair and regeneration of skin, hair, muscle tissue and gut lining)
- 3 tsp Chia seeds (loaded with antioxidants and fibre, high in protein, high in omega 3s and helps reduce inflammatory markers. Chia seeds are a real super food so sprinkle them on everything.)
Pre heat oven to 180 degrees centigrade
Mix all the ingredients together well in a large bowl
Divide into 12 lined muffin tins
Cook for 25 minutes
Try resisting nibbling straight away unless you have an asbestos tongue which is immune to red hot raisins.